Thursday, March 5, 2009

Do You Remember...?

I love this time of year. This is the time of year when I get to spend a good portion of my time at work talking about the phenomenal Montessori method of education. You're probably thinking, "Isn't that what you do most of the time anyway? Isn't that your job?" And in some ways you're right. But this is different.

This is the time of year when new families, who know very little if anything about Montessori, come and tour our school. Many of them are checking out various schools. They're doing their homework and making all the right steps to choosing a school for their child. They're unsure, they're undecided, they're worried about making the best choice for their family. And then they come to The Montessori School.

I usually spend anywhere from 15 to 20 minutes with a prospective family in my office. I have an 80/20 rule that I try to live by where I try to only talk 20% of the time and let them talk 80% of the time. If you think that I should be trying to sell them on the school, we disagree. I can't sell Montessori; no matter how much I talk, they'll never buy it. Because Montessori isn't a product. It isn't merchandise. It's a philosophy, a thought process, a lifestyle. As I take time to listen to this family talk about their child, their family, their educational beliefs, I can begin to get a sense of how Montessori will fit into their lives and to tailor the tour to meet the needs and desires they express.

After we chat for a while, I take them into the classrooms and watch for the "Ah ha!" moment to come. As we move through the environments, I can begin to see the wonder and amazement in their eyes. They are awed by what the children are learning, how they are interacting with teachers and peers, the works on the shelves, and everything else that goes into a Montessori environment. You can almost see the wheels turning as their mind rewinds to their education experience and how different these classrooms seem to be. And, more often than not, by the time we make our way back to the office, they are so excited to be making an interview appointment for their child.

Do you remember that moment you had, the moment when you realized that Montessori is what you wanted for you child? I encourage you to think back to that moment every once in a while. Try to re-envision the awe and wonder you felt the first time you truly experienced a Montessori environment. And share that with a friend. Encourage them to come discover for themselves why you made the Montessori choice. I can't wait to meet them and help create that moment for them.

No comments: