Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Montessori Transition

Disclaimer: It's going to take a series of posts to address this topic. This post is simply the introduction!

One of the questions I deal with most often is, "What happens when a child leaves Montessori?" And the underlying fear or skepticism I hear in their voice and see in their eyes is, in all honesty, hard for me to comprehend. I patiently answer their questions, listen to what they've heard from other people, and reply with my standard responses all the while trying very hard to conceal the fact that I absolutely do not understand their concern. One reason I think it is difficult for me to empathize with their fear is because I am educator who has seen both sides of the situation and I have complete faith in the Montessori method of education. Most of the people who pose this question to me are, of course, parents who want the absolute best for their child. That I can empathize with and that is why I often approach this question as a parent rather than as an educator; it gives me the ability to remember where they are coming from, why they are so concerned, and to tailor my responses to assuage their fears.

But since this a blog and not a conversation, I think the best way to address the overwhelming concern people express about students transitioning out of the Montessori school and into a traditional school is to systematically work through the myths, misconceptions, and misunderstandings people have about traditional education, Montessori education, and child development. I am not going to discuss transitioning at the Kindergarten or 3rd grade level so the majority of my information will speak to children who remain in Montessori through the 6th grade and then transition into junior high at 7th grade; however, parents considering transitioning at other times may also find this information helpful. In the next few days, I will be post a series of arguments that I hear about how and why children will struggle when they transition to a traditional school. I welcome any feedback you have on this topic and also ask that you let me know if you have a specific concern about transitioning that you would like me to address.

No comments: